Friday, September 21, 2012

Cambridge and London Day 1


This week I have been in England for a developer's workshop and some fun in London. The first part of the week I was up in Cambridge working hard at the semi-annual Phenix developer's workshop. The first impressions of Great Britain : the full English breakfast is great, driving on the lef-hand side of the road is strange, and everyone rides a bike... AWESOME!

The real story from Cambridge is the food, the rest of it was 'boring' scientific software programming. We stayed at a bed and breakfast where I took advantage of the full English breakfast each morning. The dinners were pretty awesome too. The first night we went to a Turkish restaurant with plenty of yummy kabobs. The Second night we went to an Indian restaurant, very good food! But I didn't enjoy it because there was coriander in my dish, as such that was all I tasted...yuk!! The third night we had dinner in old Cambridge library in Sidney Sussex College, which is where Oliver Cromwell's head is buried. (The Royalist dug up his corpse and beheaded him after they re-took power.) We had a very fancy dinner there consisting of duck and potatoes. The final night in Cambridge we went to a local restaurant, The Backstreet Bistro, where I had a very good Pimm's lamb.



Yesterday we took the train to London where my lab mates and I went out for Tapas. This was by far the best dinner of the entire trip! This was real Tapas. We tried about eight different dishes and they were all of excellent quality. My favorite dishes were TXIGORKI and PIMIENTOS DE PADRĂ“N, look it up. So next time you are going by King's Cross Station be sure to hit up Camino! After that I went my  own way leaving my lab mates to fly back to the States. I found a place to stay with some local members of the Mormon church.

So today I spent time at the Tower of London and Regent's Park. The majority of the day was spent at the Tower, I got there at 9 and left at 3. It was awesome! I then spent the rest of the day at the gorgeous Regent's Park. I'll let the pictures tell the story. Sorry that some are not straight, I took most of the pictures ;).

Going into the Tower grounds, looking at the outer wall. The grassy area was the moat.

Just inside the inner wall looking at Wakefield Tower.

Waterloo lock, where they keep the Crown Jewels. Also, where the olympic medals were for safe keeping.

The White Tower.

Me in fron of the White Tower.

Tutor buildings east of the White Tower

Me in front of Tower Bridge.


Regent's Park

Regent's Park

Me at Regent's Park



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks like you're having fun! That is a way awesome experience...i'm kinda jealous ;)