Sunday, April 8, 2012

Hanging Rock NC '12

This weekend I had plans with friends to hike Mt. Rogers, the highest point in the state of Virginia, all 5,729 feet of it.  A friend, who was head-spearing the adventure, parents live in a Tennessee town a mere hour and half from the trailhead. Thus the plans were to spend the night in Tennessee and then hike the mountain the next day. However, an hour before we were to depart everything fell apart. Long story short, we did not go. As such, my roommate, Matt, and I came up with a contingency plan. We would wake up early and go to Hanging Rock State Park, near Danbury NC. And so it was.

I had been to this park before but this time I went on a different trails. We went to four different small falls and the summit of Hanging Rock. This will be more of a picture post. One thing I will say is if you go to this park and want to miss the crowds GO EARLY!!!

 Lower Cascade Falls, this was the largest and most spectacular fall. I am guessing ~25 feet cascade.

Upper Cascade Falls.

This was a hole in rock, or a window, at Window Falls.

Window Falls, the location of  this was really cool, it had a huge rock hanging over it.

Hidden Falls.

All of these falls were very easy and very short hikes, the longest was 0.6 miles I bellieve. Non were huge but charming nonetheless. This wound definitely be a great park for the kids who otherwise my lose interest on longer hikes.

Hanging Rock, approaching the summit.

The Geological Survey marker on top of Hanging Rock.

Looking out from the top of Hanging Rock.


The many falls were great destinations but for physicality purposes this was my favorite hike of the day. It was a mere 1.8 miles to the top but we noticeably gained elevation on this one, my heart rate was definitely higher as I climbed to the top. Gaining elevation is one of my favorite aspects of hiking in Utah. Ever since I moved here I've missed that component and to get a taste, no matter how small, was truly great. All in all it was a great day!!

No comments: