Thursday, March 1, 2012

Edgar Meyer, Double Bass

This evening I went to an amazing performance by a very talented artist, Edgar Meyer. Meyer plays the double bass, the largest and lowest-pitched bowed string instrument in the modern symphony orchestra according to Wikipedia. He first played Bach, Suite No. 7 BMV 1007 to be specific. Then he favored us with some of his own work  and work of other modern composers. Overall the performance was outstanding; Meyer is truly a master player. The pieces selected were varied, which I appreciated. Bach was Bach, I enjoy Bach a great deal but it was something I've heard before. The rest of the pieces were new and I really enjoyed them. The two that I thought were most excellent were 'Barnyard Disturbance' and 'Pickles' (which was entirely strumming). Here is a piece for your hearing pleasure.

Barnyard Disturbance (try to imagine just the bass solo)
It was a great performance!

No comments: