Friday, January 13, 2012

Angela Gronenborn

Pittsburg
Three years ago this month I began the interviewing process for graduate school. The first school I interview at was the University of Pittsburg. I remember the very first investigator I met with, a very lively NMR spectroscopist named Angela Gronenborn. I remember the NMR facility being phenomenal; in fact, I have yet to see a facility that even comes close to topping it. Pittsburg holds a special place in my heat, it was there that I realized that I was going to go to graduate school, I just didn't kno where.

Audrey Hepburn
She's pretty <3
Last week I received word that Angela Gronenborn was coming to Duke to give a seminar. As a student I had the opportunity, which I quickly took, to have lunch with her and a few other students. Lunch was great! Angela told a lot of really neat stories. The most memorable being an experience she had while doing a post-doc in London. There she was, a young researcher, and she gets a call from Max Perutz asking for her help! For those who are not structural biologist it would be like a young, un-known actress getting a call from Audrey Hepburn asking for help on her acting; a big deal. It was awesome! Now Angela is a legend in her own right with over 400 publications.

The lunch conversation took several turns, from science to sports. I kept to myself as I usually do. That was until the conversation turned to the city of Pittsburg. The comments were all admiration for the city that seems to get very little credit. Here I had something to say because I had been there. When I did speak up Angela told me that she remembered interviewing me. In fact, she remembered more of our interaction then I did! Apparently after hearing my interestes she said that I needed to go work with Jane Richardson. It seems to me as if Angela Gronenborn is a prophetess! :)

No comments: