Sunday, August 29, 2010

School Starts and Poison Ivy

Classes are about to begin here at Duke University, all this means for me is that I will start to attend seminars and begin my one-on-one tutorial on x-ray crystallography. I will be continuing my research that I was doing during the summer. My PIs returned from their summer at their cabin. I talked to both of them about what I was learning and proposed I side project. They were both enthused about what I was already doing and what I had proposed. I will, as always, be busy; I’ll never have to say ‘I wonder what I will do tomorrow?’

I had my first exposure to poison ivy and can say I react very badly to it. I went to the doctor and she prescribed some medicated cream and Benadryl. However, the thing that I think worked the best was a $16 4 ounce tube of poison ivy scrub. It took about two weeks in all to get over it. The only place I can think of that I contacted poison ivy is when I was weeding in my back yard. However, subsequent investigations of the yard have yet to identify any poison ivy. I am a little more tentative about working back there now. Enjoy the pictures below.

The quote for this post comes from last General Conference in which President Uchtdorf gave a great talk on patience in the priesthood seesion:
‘There is an important concept here: patience is not passive resignation, nor is it failing to act because of our fears. Patience means active waiting and enduring. It means staying with something and doing all that we can—working, hoping, and exercising faith; bearing hardship with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. Patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!






No comments: